The Corry Area Historical Society and The Corry Journal are teaming up to bring a special series, Corry’s Virtual History Tour. This series features photos, past and present, for reference, along with a short story on each item's history. The series will touch only on a fraction of the Corry area’s vast history. The public is encouraged to share stories and photos from different eras on the Corry Area Historical Society’s Facebook page, by sending an email to admin@corryareahistoricalsociety.org, writing, or calling (814)664-4749.
Click on an image for a larger view.
The Corry Journal staff reports July 15, 2026
"The Corry Journal has partnered with the Corry Area Historical Society and Museum, pairing vintage photographs with present-day images of local landmarks and inviting readers to explore the city's history firsthand.
Corry's City Hall at 100 S. Center St. has anchored local government for more than a century and a half, though the building standing today is at least the third to occupy the site. The original structure burned in 1866, the same year Corry was incorporated, in a fire believed to have been started by a prisoner held in the basement jail. The prisoner escaped in the chaos. The city had no organized fire department at the time; Corry wouldn't establish its first volunteer fire company until 1871, a move influenced by disasters like this one.
The vulnerability of that early jail was a product of its era. Corry in 1866 was a booming oil-and-railroad town nicknamed the "City of Stumps," and its civic infrastructure, like most everything else, was built largely of wood. That same year, the city authorized an ordinance establishing a police force and appropriated $500 for construction of a city jail. Wooden lockups of the period were notoriously easy targets for escape by fire, and in this case the blaze quickly outgrew whatever the prisoner intended.
A new City Building rose in the early 1870s, and fire found it too — first in 1882, when the building was damaged, and then catastrophically on Monday, Jan. 20, 1919, when it was destroyed entirely. That fire started around 11 a.m., and by 11:55 the building's large fire gong had crashed through the roof. William Finson, a volunteer firefighter who had been staying at the building, was overcome by smoke and died after being carried out; three other firemen were also overcome but recovered. The local company of the Reserve Militia was called in to control the crowds of onlookers.
The losses rippled through downtown. The Stanford Hose Company lost all of its equipment and had to find new quarters, as did the Knights of Pythias, whose lodge room was housed in the building. The Corry Furniture Company on the first floor was destroyed, though not before its stock could be carried out. Some city records, books and files were saved — except those stored in wooden cases in the engineer's office. Across the street, the Taylor Livery and some bars caught fire but suffered little damage.
The building that replaced it reflects the lessons learned. Built after the 1919 fire to the design of Asher P. Mount, a prominent Corry-based architect, the new City Hall was constructed of brick and heavy masonry, with a fireproof basement jail. Those subterranean cells remain beneath the building today, though they are no longer in use. Mount's fingerprints are all over Corry's historic core: his work includes the former State Armory on East Washington Street (now Salt Church), the city's first individual listing on the National Register of Historic Places, as well as the former Carnegie Library, the Elks Club and the former Ottaway Inn, which originally served as his personal residence. City Hall itself is recognized as a contributing structure in the Downtown Corry Historic District, which joined the National Register in 2022."
The public is encouraged to share stories and photos from different eras on the Corry Area Historical Society’s Facebook page, by sending an email to admin@corryareahistoricalsociety.org, or by calling 814-664-4749."
Images: “The City of Corry administration building as it appeared before a fire in the early 1900s. Contributed photo, The City of Corry administration building today, located at 100 S. Center St. Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal . An image of firefighters battling the 1919 City Building fire. Contributed photo.
The Corry Journal staff reports July 8, 2026
"The Corry Journal has partnered with the Corry Area Historical Society and Museum, pairing vintage photographs with present-day images of local landmarks and inviting readers to explore the city's history firsthand."
Dec. 8 1909 The Evening Journal:
“A New Idea In Paving Brick” Frank B. Dunn's Invention Installed by Corry Brick & Tile Co.--Makes Wire-Cut Lug.
Mr. Frank B. Dunn, of Conneaut, Ohio, who is visiting his brother-in-law, Wilbur E. Wilson and family, has invented a simple method of making a lug on a wire-cut brick, that promises to revolutionize the paving brick industry in this country. One of Mr. Dunn's machines has been recently installed in the Corry Brick & Tile Co.'s plant in this city, and works to perfection. For the information of those not familiar with the subject, it may be stated that for street paving it is desirable to leave a little space between the bricks in order that the filler may form a bond. This is accomplished by means of a couple of lugs or ribs on the side of the brick. Heretofore, in order to put a lug on the bricks, it has been necessary to repress them, adding to the cost of production and not improving the quality, only in appearance. Mr. Dunn's invention, by a simple device, cuts the lugs on the brick in the first place, doing away with repressing.
Jan 17, 1910, Corry Evening News:
“With two additional kilns and six more tunnels for drying, the Corry Brick & Tile Company will employ about 70 men. Besides the building brick, Mr. DeRosay has been successful in having his paving brick used in Corry, Erie, Warren, Penn'a., and Baltimore, Md., and at the present time he has an order to ship paving blocks to Conneaut, Ohio. These blocks will be the wire cut lug blocks, manufactured under the patent rights of Mr. Frank B. Dunn, the Corry Brick & Tile Company, being the first to manufacture this block in the country. Judging from the inquiries from architects and builders, the season of 1910 looks very promising for the Corry Brick & Tile Company."
To see remaining brick streets in Corry, visit portions of East and West Congress, Wright, East Frederick, West Church, Concord, Eagle, Mott, Franklin, and Allen streets as well as parts of First and Second avenues.
The public is encouraged to share stories and photos from different eras on the Corry Area Historical Society’s Facebook page, by sending an email to admin@corryareahistoricalsociety.org, or by calling 814-664-4749."
Images: “Bricks postcard: This undated postcard shows when South Center Street was made of brick. Brick street: A handful of brick streets still exist in Corry, such as this section of West Church Street - Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal. A Corry brick with lugs displayed at the Corry Area Historical Society's Museum.
The Corry Journal staff reports July 1, 2026
“In 1871, the first fire company was organized consisting of red-shirted volunteers. These men operated the hand engine or dragged the big two-wheeled reel. There were modifications during the year and reorganizations. Many companies were formed during those early days, including The Allen Hose Co., The Crosby, Osborne’s, The Keystone Boys, The Alexander Hose Co., The Rescue Hook and Ladder, and The Stanford Hose Co. The only company to remain was the Stanford Hose Co. and in 1904, Stanford Hose Co. No. 2 was chartered as “The Stanford Hose Co. No. 1 of Corry, Pennsylvania.” This information was gleaned from “History of Corry, Pennsylvania” by Maude Barnes.
Stanford Hose Company on East South Street bought the first truck equipped with a booster tank and volume pump in 1936. There used to be a hayloft in the upstairs of the fire station, and in 1960 the horse stalls were removed.
Some Corryites may remember grade-school field trips to the fire hall and being allowed to slide down the fire pole. The Stanford Hose Company Ladies Auxiliary was formed in September of 1970 with many projects and activities in support of the fire department and the community."
Images: Antique fire hose - This antique fire hose and reel can be seen at the Corry Area Historical Society Museum, along with other fire department artifacts. Contributed photo. The 1936 Mack Fire Engine was restored and has been seen in many local parades, including this Homecoming Parade in 2019. Journal file photo. This antique fire hose and reel can be seen at the Corry Area Historical Society Museum, along with other fire department artifacts. Contributed photo. https://www.corrypa.org/fire-department https://www.facebook.com/corryfire
The Corry Journal staff reports Jun 24, 2026
Trill Indicator Co., located at 36-38 E. South St., was founded in 1901 by William L. Trill, who controlled it until Feb. 1, 1942. The Trill Indicator was a well-developed instrument in adjusting and controlling the value action of the steam engine of the day. It was also used to determine an engine’s horsepower. The indicator was an important part of every engine for the fleets of ships during WWI and the Liberty ships in WWII. Hubert S. Vaughn, supervisor of production for the Trill Indicator Company, provided a welcome address on April 9, 1943, when the company received a government award for production performance. The award was presented by Col. Willard F. Rockwell, chief of production of the U.S. Maritime Commission.
“Colonel Rockwell, honored guests and fellow employees — it is indeed a great pleasure to welcome you and have you take part in this presentation ceremony,” Vaughn said. “It is to be our honor to receive the coveted Maritime “M” as a reward for high production performance. We are proud that we should be so signally honored, particularly because the indicator equipment we produce for the Maritime Commission’s ship building program is not nearly as spectacular as the implements of war that everybody knows and understands. Nevertheless, we of Trill have felt that our products are essential to the safe and efficient operation of our mighty Victory Fleet, and this conviction has been a spur that has helped to meet production requirements ahead of schedule. Trill Steam Engine Indicators are vitally important members of the instruments which help to keep the engines of our Liberty ships going at top efficiency.” Following the speech, Rockwell presented merit award insignia badges to every employee in recognition of individual accomplishment.
The address is now occupied by Al Xander Co., whose website states, “With an entrepreneurial spirit and a dream of owning his own business, Albert Xander set out on a mission. What started 70 years ago in a living room has grown into a third generation family business. The company has changed over the 70 years, however it remains a viable distributor in many different industries.” Al Xander Co. provides valves, fittings and gauges, among many other products. For more information, visit alxander.com.
Images: Poster outlining the Trill Indicator’s contribution to the (WWII) war effort. Antique 1930s Trill Indicator tool in original box on display at the Corry Area Historical Society Museum. Al Xander Co. is located at the same property once occupied by Trill Indicator Co., 36-38 E. South St. Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal
The Corry Journal staff reports Jun 17, 2026
“Lutheran Church services were held in Corry as early as 1867 in a schoolhouse. The services were given in German. The congregation organized further in January 1871 and was known as The German Evangelical Lutheran St. Paul’s Church of Corry, and a lot measuring 66-by-100-feet at the corner of East South and Concord streets was purchased. The church conducted services in German, Danish, Swedish and English. The original building was razed in June 1922 to make way for a new Church, constructed on the same site and completed in January 1923. A larger Church had been needed after an influx of Lutheran Corry-Jamestown workers emigrated from Sweden. Eventually, the Church began using English only in its services and changed its name to St. Paul’s Evangelical Lutheran Church.”
Images: The original Lutheran Church building stood on the same site as the current building, St. Paul’s Lutheran Church located at the corner of East South and Concord streets. Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal, 1891 Sanborn Fire Map #5 of Corry, PA at Library of Congress.
https://www.facebook.com/stpaulscorry/
https://www.loc.gov/resource/g3824cm.g3824cm_g076051891/?sp=5&r=-0.344,0.097,1.695,0.988,0
The Corry Journal staff reports Jun 10, 2026
The original 1884 Concord Street School was located on the corner of East Pleasant and Concord streets and was added to in 1913. Many will have fond memories of sled riding on the hills where the old school once stood. The school was torn down in the summer of 1964 and a new Concord Street School opened that fall. This school closed in 2008 and was later sold.
Images: The original Concord School as photographed in the early 1900s, Concord School with addition in 1913, listing of local teachers in 1906, and modern location taken by Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal.
From staff reports June 3, 2026 The Corry Journal
"At the corner of Concord and East Pleasant streets, operating in an old church, was Kurtz Brass and Wood Bed Company, which manufactured about 40 beds daily for eight years. As a prominent local manufacturer, they produced metal and wood beds alongside other bedroom furniture, participating in regional industry showcases like the Jamestown Furniture Exposition.
After the company moved to 9 Pennsylvania Ave., the First United Methodist Church Parsonage was later built on the corner lot using surplus, high-grade materials from the Corry Post Office construction. Because the landmark Post Office at 101 S. Center St. was completed in late 1915 (see the May 20 edition of The Journal) with premium materials like Indiana limestone, marble and specialized brick, using its high quality construction leftovers for the nearby parsonage created an architectural tie between the town's civic and spiritual hubs.
Images: The Kurtz Brass and Wood Bed Company took the space vacated by the Methodist Church. After the demolition of the bed factory, the house currently located on the same property was constructed using leftover materials from the Corry Post Office. A Methodist Church was once located at the corner of East Pleasant and Concord streets."
From staff reports May 27, 2026 The Corry Journal
Corry's oldest surviving industry has humble but inventive roots. In 1883, M.M. Raymond organized what would become Raymond Manufacturing, initially producing wireform household goods such as baby jumpers, carpet whips, and hat racks. That same year, Murry Raymond patented a simple but effective baby jumper, churning out 150 per week, a product that would help launch an industrial legacy still active today. Two of those original baby jumpers are on display at the Corry Area Historical Society and Museum.
By 1890, oil well equipment businessman Federal E. Whittlesey had moved to Corry and purchased a 50% stake in the company, eventually rising to president and guiding Raymond Manufacturing into one of the city's largest industries. In 1898, the company was formally incorporated for the production of high-grade wire springs, a pivot driven by the need for specialized, precision springs in its own household goods and oil well valve cups. That shift would define the company's future.
Through the 1920s to 1950s, the plant expanded alongside the region's industrial boom, anchoring Corry's manufacturing economy with a major facility on South Center Street. Renamed Associated Spring Corporation, the company eventually achieved international reach with its precision springs and metal components used in NASA space suits for John Glenn's orbital flight and the Apollo 11 moon mission.
In 1976, Associated Spring was acquired by Barnes Group Inc., a global aerospace and industrial manufacturer. Today, the facility continues operating as Associated Spring, a global leader in precision-engineered springs and metal components, supplying the aerospace, automotive and industrial markets worldwide, more than 140 years after M.M. Raymond built his first baby jumper.
Images: Baby Jumper with child, Raymond Manufacturing as it appeared in the early 1900s, one of two baby jumpers on display at the Corry Area Historical Museum, a photo of architectural details on the older portion of Associated Spring. Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal, Associated Spring- Raymond Manufacturing eventually became Associated Spring, and has always been located at 226 S. Center St. Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal, advertisement from 1899 House Furnishing Review - Volume 15 - Page 228.
The Corry Journal - From staff reports 5/20/2026
The Corry Journal has partnered with the Corry Area Historical Society and Museum, pairing vintage photographs with present-day images of local landmarks and inviting readers to explore the city's history firsthand.
Mail had been processed in a small room in the City Building after other locations had previously been utilized before the Corry Post Office was constructed in 1914 and opened in 1915. In the early 1900s, the volume of mail sent by the mail-order department of the Nubone Corset Company determined the size of the Post Office. It is one of the most expensive buildings in the county, with a Colonial-style build. The building features bronze doors, mosaic tiles and imported Italian marble. The 11,800 sq. ft. post office included plenty of space for customers, employees and other government offices, including a Social Security Office, Selective Services office, and the Pennsylvania Farm Bureau.
The first Postmaster in the new office was Arthur D. Colegrove, and the office employed eight clerks and 15 city and rural carriers, according to the souvenir program from the building's dedication. Air Mail first came into the post office via Corry-Lawrence Airport in May of 1938. The building was renovated in recent years to waterproof the basement and remove asbestos, among other improvements.
Images: The Corry Post Office under construction in 1914. The Corry High School can be seen in the upper, left background above, and South Center Street’s original brick is visible in front of the under-construction post office. Corry Post Office interior, exterior, and mosaic floor (present day).
The public is encouraged to share stories and photos from different eras on the Corry Area Historical Society’s Facebook page, by sending an email to admin@corryareahistoricalsociety.org, or by calling (814) 664-4749.
The Corry Journal - From staff reports May 13, 2026
“The Corry Journal has partnered with the Corry Area Historical Society and Museum, pairing vintage photographs with present day images of local landmarks and inviting readers to explore the city's history firsthand.
St. Elizabeth was founded to support the German immigrants of Corry. Under the patronage of Saint Elizabeth of Hungary, the parish was unusual in that its physical structures were finished before its first pastor, Father Francis Winter, was appointed. The first baptism was in September 1876.
The church was struck by lightning in 1921, setting the steeple ablaze, which was then removed. The community then entered a long period of growth, including the construction of the current building in 1950, located at 26 W. Pleasant St.
In 1998, Saint Elizabeth Parish and Saint Thomas the Apostle Parish, which shared the tradition of being founded by immigrant families in Corry's early days, became the Corry Catholic Community under the care of one pastor, Father Joseph Finucane (1987-2000). From this point on, both parishes continued to share a pastor.
St. Elizabeth Church merged with St. Thomas Church in February 2017, and from that time, no more Masses were conducted at the church, with the exception of a farewell Mass held at Saint Elizabeth Church on it's patron's feast day, Nov. 17, 2019.
From 2017, 15 funerals and one wedding took place in the church before the building closed as a church for good on Dec. 1, 2019, and was sold.
Image: St. Elizabeth Church as it appeared prior to the lightning strike in 1921 that destroyed the steeple.
Image: St. Elizabeth is no longer a church, but the building remains in use at 26 W. Pleasant St.”
Resources:
Birth and Development of the City of Corry, Penn'a - 1909 by Prof. V. G. Curtis. books.google.com/
The Corry Journal - From staff reports May 5, 2026
The Corry Journal has partnered with the Corry Area Historical Society and Museum, pairing vintage photographs with present-day images of local landmarks and inviting readers to explore the city's history firsthand.
The first class to graduate from the old Corry High School, located at the end of the block facing Spring Street, between West Pleasant and West South Streets, was in 1884, with the last class graduating in 1954.
Following Corry’s incorporation in 1863, the community’s commitment to education grew as quickly as its population. What began in a modest building on Concord Street evolved into the Hatch School in 1871. By 1899, the district debuted an impressive facility at 100 Spring St., boasting a 600-seat auditorium and specialized tracks in classical, scientific and commercial studies. This noble era of education saw its first graduates in 1884 and its last in 1954, right as the city broke ground on the modern Corry Area Middle High School located at 540 E. Pleasant St. The magnificent building on Spring Street was torn down, and is now the parking lot for St. Elizabeth Parish Center. Pictured is a page from “The Owl,” a high school publication, with a toast from 1912. Steps from West South Street lead from the sidewalk to the parking lot where the Corry High School once stood. Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_3120010b-9b76-40ad-b42b-6bc036d6974d.html
The Corry Journal - From staff reports Apr 29, 2026
"The First Baptist Church was founded in 1863 with seven members. The meetings were held in a hall on the second floor of the building on Washington and West Wayne, now Mead Avenue. Plans were made in 1888 to build a larger structure, which was fully completed in 1904 with electric lights installed in 1906. A fire severely damaged the church in 1937. The church is located at 302 W. Pleasant St. According to its website, the church holds weekly Sunday school at 9 a.m. and worship service at 10 a.m., among other scheduled services. See firstbaptistcorry.org for more information." 1st image: The First Baptist Church as it appeared prior to a fire in 1937.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_5fffbf91-c1e1-422d-b22f-e2fa083c4e15.html
The Corry Journal - From staff reports Apr 22, 2026
“Bricks with the “lugs” or four raised parts were created by Corry Brick and Tile Co., which owned the invention that created the lugs. The lugs maintained a space between each brick when used for street paving, so that the filler between the bricks could form a bond.
Center Street was the first brick-paved street in Corry. The brick factory shipped bricks to other cities. Small sculptures (pictured at right) were crafted to showcase the quality of their bricks with some on display at the museum.
Frank Litz came to Corry from Elk County as a young man to become foreman of the Corry Brick and Tile Company. From the same red clay used for bricks, he modeled small sculptures, plaques and decorative vases in his spare time, including pieces which were used as samples and given to customers and friends.
After leaving the brickyard, Litz bought and operated a series of retail businesses. He expanded a shoeshine stand into a shoemaking business by hiring a shoemaker to teach him the trade, which he then taught to his five sons. Examples of Litz’s clay artistry are on display at the Corry Area Historical Museum.”
The Corry Journal has partnered with the Corry Area Historical Society and Museum, pairing vintage photographs with present-day images of local landmarks and inviting readers to explore the city's history firsthand.
This original Corry brick is located in Mead Park.”
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_42640d6e-5241-41bd-a75f-4fc2ef86c73f.html
“On display at the Corry Area Historical Society Museum are these original turnbuckles invented by Rean McElroy, manufactured at Aero Supply, Corry. Aero Supply was known as Standard Turnbuckle before WWI, as they made steam engine indicators and turnbuckles. A turnbuckle is a mechanical device used to adjust tension and reduce slack in ropes, cables and tie rods. The company became Standard Automatic after the war, and then the name changed again, this time to Aero Supply around 1930. From 1935-37, Aero Supply produced the hard-carbon-steel cores used in armor-piercing shells. The company also made high-quality bolts that were used in all parts of airplanes. The business was sold to Aero Flow Dynamics in 1960, which moved the company out of town in 1970.
The location at 611 W. Main St. is now home to Corry Rubber Corp. Corry Rubber specializes in elastomeric composites that include elastomers bonded to other materials such as steel, aluminum, plastics and thermoplastic elastomers.
Corry Rubber is a privately held Pennsylvania corporation that began operation on Aug. 15, 1961, with only three presses, one mill, and one 3” extruder. With just 4 employees in a 2800 square foot area, Corry Rubber produced its first shipment of rubber elbows, a product that remains in production today.
The building is now -- and has been for 65 years -- occupied by Corry Rubber Corp. Tom Hellyer/The Corry Journal
Today, Corry Rubber has grown into a multi-million dollar organization occupying 142,000 square feet with over 40 employees. For more information, visit corryrubber.com.
The public is encouraged to share stories and photos from different eras on the Corry Area Historical Society’s Facebook page, by sending an email to admin@corryareahistoricalsociety.org, or by calling (814) 664-4749.”
The Corry Journal - From staff reports Apr 15, 2026
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_48c4c1f0-2fab-4136-9276-30378b950f46.html
Climax Engine - Carol Fielding The Corry Journal April 8, 2026
The Corry Area Historical Society Museum’s Climax Locomotive B-1681 is the centerpiece of the museum exhibits, providing a “wow” factor for all who visit. Charles D. Scott designed the original Climax Locomotive to transport logs in Spartansburg, PA.
A Climax Engine sits on the tracks outside of the Climax Manufacturing Co. in the 1920s. - At the northwest corner of West Main Street and South Second Avenue stands an historic marker regaling a portion of Corry's proud manufacturing history -- the most famous product being the Climax Locomotive. The Climax Manufacturing Co. built 1,050 locomotives from 1888 to 1928, ranging in size from seven to 100 tons, and sold them worldwide.
Famous for their ability to navigate steep and uneven roadbeds, the Climax was prized for timber harvesting in mountainous terrain. The Climax stationary engine powered the plant. The company's machines generated so much power that it had excess, so an agreement was reached under which the city would install streetlights, and Climax Manufacturing would donate its excess power to operate them.
The museum’s 30-ton Climax Locomotive B-1681 began its journey March 20, 1927, when it was first shipped to the Barclay Chemical Co. in Laquin, Pa., to haul wood. In 1941, the engine transitioned to industrial service for the Southern New York Railroad in Oneonta, retiring in 1956. The locomotive's next chapter started in January 1960 when it was acquired by a group from Corry led by Walter Casler.
Climax Engine marker and tracks - This historic marker is located next to the sidewalk on the corner of West Main Street and South Second Avenue, adjacent to the present-day location of Corry Rubber Corporation.
Today, it is the pride of the Corry Area Historical Society's Museum and the community. Corry RAILS, a separate group, has acquired the A-313 Climax Locomotive and is carefully restoring it.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_36c757f4-8b38-419b-b2a0-f4e15fdbbadb.html https://www.corryareahistoricalsociety.org/climax-engine https://corryrails.com/history/
Carol Fielding/The Corry Journal “While the stumps are no longer part of the landscape, views of the city can be seen from the Corry-Lawrence Airport parking lot at the top of Spring Street, as seen above. Spring Street lines up with North Center Street beginning where North Center turns to the east at Clinton Street. North Hills Municipal Golf Course can be seen on the hillside in the top, left of this photo. Following the discovery of oil in nearby Titusville, the area was quickly cleared of timber in 1861-62 to build a railroad junction, factories and hotels, leaving behind numerous tree stumps as the trees were cut down faster than the stumps could be removed. Due to this hasty development, the town was known by locals as "City of Stumps” for many years as the stumps were slowly removed. Corry was officially chartered as a city in 1866. By 1896, it was a major industrial center in Pennsylvania. Old-timers recounted hunting bears and bobcats in the woods off what is now Worth Street, and that some homes were built over stumps.” Published in The Corry Journal on April 1, 2026 https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_862daa17-d715-403c-8f29-f9bed2fe38c0.html
On September 13, 1858, Amos Harrington purchased 93 acres on which part of the city is now located. In 1858, he sold 63 acres to Hiram Corry for $463.00. Hiram Corry then sold the land to the railroad for the first depot, and the town was named after him. There is a question about the correct spelling, but the spelling "Corry" stuck. The Sunbury and Erie Rail line, as it was first called, was estimated to cost over 8 million at the time of planning in 1840, but was greatly underestimated. The track builders of the Atlantic and Great Western Railroad reached Corry in the 1860’s and crossed the Sunbury and Erie Railroad, later known as the Philadelphia and Erie Railroad. The first ticket station was built on Hiram Corry’s land. It was a small wedge-shaped ticket office, later an eating house. An Express office was added, located between the two railroads at their junction, just east of Cross Street. The Corry Diamond, circa 1860s, is shown in the image. The Diamond sign can be located on the east side of what is now Maple Avenue. Published in The Corry Journal on March 25, 2026.
The history of newspapers in Corry dates back to 1863, with the founding of The Corry City News. The Corry Journal, with a slight name change, has been in operation for over 120 years. The present location of The Corry Evening Journal, as it was known, was erected in 1913 and designed by A. P. Mount. The exterior is constructed of Turkestan brick and trimmed in grey Ohio sandstone. The neighboring towns once had The Spartansburg Sentinel and The Bear Lake Recorder. Images: circa 1920 & 2026 Published in The Corry Journal on March 12, 2026
The Corry Area Historical Society at 945 Mead Avenue was established in 1965 as an all volunteer-driven resource dedicated to keeping history. In 1967, the Climax engine was enclosed in a building designed and built with volunteer labor. In the 1970s, an additional building, which formed the upright portion of an "L," the engine building providing the base to the "L," was completed. During the 1984-1985 school year, the Corry Area School District’s vocational technology class built the present meeting room and archival area. In 1987, a pole barn separate from the museum was built to house many engines and large equipment, and in 1991, a building which connected the pole barn to the central museum was constructed. The 12,000-square-foot museum serves as a vibrant "connective tissue" for parts of Erie, Warren and Crawford counties, housing over 15,000 artifacts that celebrate the lives of "just plain folks" alongside mechanical marvels, including the Climax Locomotive B-1681.
An impressive archive room is full of photographs, maps, genealogical information and newspaper articles organized into binders by local surnames, businesses and organizations. The Museum is open from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursdays from Labor Day to Memorial Day; from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursdays and Saturdays from Memorial Day to Labor Day; and by appointment. Published in The Corry Journal on March 19, 2026
Saving History - On Break
The Corry Area Historical Society is seeking help from the community to identify donated photos. Although the Society may have partial information, all the photos in this series lack some piece of vital information, such as who, what, where, or when the photo might have been taken. Photos will be occasionally posted on the Corry Journal's Hometown page, and will be numbered. If you have information to share, visit the Corry Area Historical Society on Facebook and look for the "Saving History" posts, email admin@corryareahistoricalsociety.org, or use this form: bit.ly/CAHSimageinfo. Those without internet access are welcome to call 814-664-4749 and leave a message. When contacting, please include the date published and photo number. Thank you!
Click on an image for a larger view.
Pictured here are children in the third and fourth grade classes of the 1928-29 school year at Washington Street School in Corry. Most names are listed, however, some are missing, as indicated by a blank line in the list below. First row: Lucile Kirch, Elizabeth Perry. Shirley Smith, Christina Parkhurst, Margaret Stufflebeam, Dorothy Amy, Fredia Daniels, Alice Anderson, Vivi Thomas, Jane Wells, Jo Ellen Hodge, Edith Darrow, and Arlene Deschamp. Second row: ___ Spoon, John Long, Raymond Clark, Rose ___, Arlene Robbinson, Ruth Lester, Evelyne Turner, Paul Taylor, Frank Chase, Marjorie ___, Alta May Nichols, Hazel Stufflebeam and Teacher Miss Conway (Grant). Third row: Roy Craeford, Clair Huffman, Charles Azlendra, Percy Miles, Burton Dearing, Frank Donbrozko, Walter Daniels, Edward Schrambling and John Cole. If you have information to share email admin@corryareahistoricalsociety.org , or use this form: bit.ly/CAHSimageinfo . Those without internet access are welcome to call 814-664-4749 and leave a message. When contacting, please include the date published and photo number. Thank you!
Pictured here are children in the 1927-28 school year at Washington Street School in Corry. Most names are listed, however, some are missing, as indicated by a blank line in the list below. First row: Paul Sutton, Charles Axlendra, Burton Dearing; Francis Donahue, Fred Hanel; Frank Donbrozka; John Long and Clair Huffman. Second row: Edward Schrambling, Hazel Stufflebeam, Freda Daniels, Lucile Kirch, Christinia Parkhurst, Margarett Barrone, Shirley Smith, Elizabeth Perry. Dorothy Amy, Margarite Stufflebeam Lucille George, and ___ ___. Third row: Teacher Mrs. Wade Perkins, Roy Crawford, Louis Higbee, ___ ___, ___ ___, Raymond Clark, Alfred Ketko, Ruth Lester, Jane Wells, and Jane Hall. If you have information to share email admin@corryareahistoricalsociety.org, or use this form: bit.ly/CAHSimageinfo . Those without internet access are welcome to call 814-664-4749 and leave a message. When contacting, please include the date published and photo number. Thank you!
Pictured here is the 1926-27 first grade class from the Washington Street School in Corry. Most names are listed, however, some are missing, as indicated by a blank line in the list below. First row, from left: Louis Hickbee, Frank Baressi, Clair Huffman, Glenn Stufflebeam, Cloud Stufflebeam, Clair Hillstrome, Francis Donahue, Burton Dearing, and ___ ___. Second row, from left: Josephine Barney, Teacher Miss Helen Johnson, Elizabeth Perry, Shirley Smith, Lucille Kirch, Margaret Darrone, Shirley McCassler, Margaret Stufflebeam, Dorothy ___, Dorothy Amy and Verne Hill. Third row, from left: Josekhe Broff, Roy Crawford, Cristiane Parkehust, John Long and Alfred King. Fourth row, from left: Albert Steadman, Paul Sutton, ___ Sheldon, ___ ___, Roland Greeley, and ___ ___. If you have information to share email admin@corryareahistoricalsociety.org, or use this form: bit.ly/CAHSimageinfo . Those without internet access are welcome to call 814-664-4749 and leave a message. When contacting, please include the date published and photo number. Thank you!
History Mystery on Break: The Corry Area Historical Society has photographed and researched bits of Corry’s past, providing the information to The Journal for the last 20 weeks. We, at The Journal, have enjoyed bringing Corry’s history to our readers, and have received positive feedback from said readers. We hope to publish more History Mystery tidbits in the future. When the program restarts, the Corry Journal will publish a picture from the Corry area's past, courtesy of the Corry Area Historical Society Museum. The photo will be accompanied by questions or hints as to the origin, use or manufacturer of an item, people in the photo, or identification of a building or location. History Mystery will now take a break for a while. https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_1c3e0d48-712f-11ef-8b8c-1794669785b3.html
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_25ab107c-79ec-11ef-a255-ef2c544c243e.html
Question: Who owned this car, and what made it special? Answer: The Crosley's owner was Hubert Vaughn, who was the board chairman for Corry Manufacturing Company. The eclectic car was an idea that came to life in his garage. He used 12 golf cart batteries. One charge would give the car about 35 miles of driving time. The story goes that he drove the electric vehicle to Erie, which took all day. Once there, he had to charge it to get back home. Most remember this car being in the parades, at the local car shows or driving around town. Now it spends its time at the Corry Area Historical Society. There are many items of Hubert Vaughn's, such as canceled checks, notes and even an x-ray of his bones he donated.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_ed8a13e6-6f73-11ef-a573-8fcf601d1566.html
Question: Who used this item? What was it used for? Hint: Some readers may remember their visit to this office.
Answer: This dental treadle drill was invented in 1871 by dentist James Beall Morrison. Some say it could take up to an hour to remove decay from a tooth with this drill. The drill belonged to Dr. Harrison A. Curtis, born in 1882, a local dentist for 55 years who graduated from Northwestern Pennsylvania Dental School in 1909. The school later became the University of Pittsburgh. He first opened his practice in Columbus and later moved it to Corry. At one time, his practice was on the second floor of Dr. Bennett's building, across from the Corrian Hotel, which is now the Corry Higher Education Council.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_bf9899f4-6a1d-11ef-91ab-5fc2075553e0.html
Question: What was this beautiful item called years ago? How much did one cost back in the day?
Answer: The Thomas A. Edison Disc Phonograph was one of the top-of-the-line sound producers. Edison added the disc phonograph to his company in 1913. Edison cylinder players had been around for years but were losing favor. This machine was purchased by a local family in 1919 from Fuller's Music Parlor at 7 S. Center St. in Corry. Miss Myrtle Fuller held recitals to promote the sale of the disc phonographs. This piece would have cost around $200, or $3,600 in today's prices. The Historical Society has both an Edison cylinder and a disc phonograph.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_ea7b6906-63df-11ef-b04b-57ec35ebc526.html
Question: What personal item was used in this unique wall decoration? What other items were made using the same materials?
Answer: Made from human hair and wires, this wreath was made by a local woman. It was a practice to save hair from loved ones who had passed and make keepsakes from the hair. It was common practice to save the loose pieces of brushed hair in a hair receiver, making it easy to acquire for crafting pieces. An open-ended wreath like last week's photo is said to show the person's ascent into heaven. Some other items made from human hair are pendants, brooches, bracelets and wall art.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_822135b8-5e60-11ef-a029-d79877b79b7a.html
Question: Where was this photo taken? What year was it? What significant event happened? Photo courtesy of the Sawyer family.
Answer: This photo is from November 19, 1964, when the Corry Area High School, located at 524 E. Pleasant St., caught fire. Two hundred men from nine different companies fought the blaze. To care for those fighting the fire and and volunteers helping out, local businesses, American Red Cross, Salvation Army and volunteers joined together to serve 80 gallons of coffee, 50 quarts of milk, 30 gallons of soup, 500 sandwiches, and 50 dozen donuts. The first estimated cost of the damage was set at $1.5 million.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_40e5e17a-58f7-11ef-aee7-fbda887652ac.html
Question: What was this used for back in the day?
Answer: This is a loom weaving shuttleboat bobbin shuttlecock that was used on table or floor looms. The yarn to be woven is wrapped around the bobbing and inserted into the shuttle. The yard can then be winded off while weaving.
A boat shuttle works by winding yarn onto a bobbin or quill and then inserted into the shuttle. This process allows the yarn to wind off quickly while weaving. Unlike the stick shuttle, which you must pass from one hand to another and back, you can easily throw a boat shuttle across. Stop by and check out the weaving, sewing and small crafting display that the Corry Area Historical Society.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_ff9e51e0-53f4-11ef-9e17-eb808e1e58e8.html
Question: In which cemetery is this gravestone located? What material is this marker made of?
Answer: This gravestone marker is straight ahead when entering the Pine Grove Cemetery’s main driveway. The"white bronze" marker, also known as a Zinker, because its primary material is cast zinc, has a distinctive pale grey or pale blue color. These grave markers were manufactured by the Monumental Bronze Company in Bridgeport, Conn., and sold to the public by catalog or through a salesman. These beautiful markers have stood the test of time, as one can see the bust of Mr. Myer's face. Mr. Myer operated the Oneida Market, a butcher shop in Corry. He served in the Civil War for Company E, 117th of New York. He was twice wounded, once in the head and once in the arm. As a side note, during prohibition, these hollow grave markers were used to exchange alcohol by hiding the stuff inside the makers.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_71b73bdc-505f-11ef-814e-87d36e557503.html
Question: Where did this boat float for years? Did it always stay in the Lake or go for unauthorized outings?
Answer: The Robert E. Lee Steamer originally floated on Alice Lake in Mead Park. Norman Edinger built the steamer in the 1960s. It was stolen many times and even damaged by vandals. One such incident left the steamer too damaged to display. Kornikoski worked for two weeks in 1984 to refurbish the steamer. He and Fred " Chuck" Haenel Jr., caretaker for the park, anchored the steamer back into Alice Lake. In 1990, it was once again rebuilt by a Boy Scout as part of his Eagle Badge. It now resides at the Corry Area Historical Society Museum. Stop by the historical society during the Glen Mead Day celebration on Sunday, Aug. 11, and see the Robert E. Lee.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_a8184504-4835-11ef-abe7-afcf4670a2af.html
Question: Plaques like these hung throughout what building? Why were they made? Who are the ladies mentioned here?
Answer: These plaques were hung in memory of two ladies at the former Corry Memorial Hospital Display on West Smith Street. When considerable donations to the hospital were made, the plaques were hung to recognize the generous gift. In 1949, a donation of $5,000 was made to the 60-bed hospital fundraiser. Mrs. Henry McSweeney was the former Theresa Nugent. She donated in memory of her sister, who had passed. These two ladies grew up and lived in Corry on West Pleasant Street extension. Mrs. Henry McSweeney was one of the top five wealthiest women in America, as stated at the time of her passing. Theresa's husband, Henry McSweeney, was an attorney for Standard Oil, among many other successful business ventures. Theresa is also the Great Aunt of Singer Ted Nugent. Descendants of the Nugent line still reside in Corry today.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_53cfccee-42f2-11ef-9321-efa700ae212e.html
Question: What was this used for back in the day?
Answer: This Vintage sand tamper was used to tamp the sand between the bricks, giving a smooth, firm surface for walking and driving. The first road bricked in Corry was South Center Street. At the museum, a few bricks in “Little Corry” need to be reset. Stop by the Corry Historical Society to see the tamper and a brick sidewalk, like the those that were all around Corry back in the day.
https://https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_e7d81a0e-3e01-11ef-8751-ffd24e07dc1a.html
Question: What was this stand made of? Where was the company located in Corry?
Answer: This 1920s plant stand might be mistaken for wicker, but it is not. It is made of Fibre, which is stronger than wicker. It is one of many items made at Corry Fibre Furniture company. The company was started with $30,000 in 1916 and was located on West Bond Street. The company advertised home furniture repair of all kinds, promising to lock the door when done. In 1929, H. O. Kitner filed voluntary bankruptcy, with assets of $18,200 and debts of $16,345.98, leading to the end of the fiber furniture era in Corry.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_a620014a-3586-11ef-aabc-a32f23c1d99a.html
Question: What war affected this man’s life? How did this war affect the local land survey? What is the name of the National organization founded on October 11, 1890, for proven bloodline descendants of these soldiers?
Answer: John Loomis served in the Revolutionary War and moved to Wayne Township in 1831. He is buried in Lawn Cemetery in Beaverdam. Donation land bounties were implemented to keep soldiers in service until the end of the Revolutionary War. David Watts surveyed the donation parcel north of Corry, which went up into New York, almost to Waterford, making a large rectangle. Soldiers were awarded bounty land warrants by service and rank parcels of 100 to 1,100 acres, then parcels were awarded by spinning a lottery wheel.
The Daughters of the American Revolution issued a local chapter organized in August 1919. It was known as the Brokenstraw Valley Chapter. This Corry Chapter has disbanded, but others still in Erie, Crawford and Warren Counties.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_a620014a-3586-11ef-aabc-a32f23c1d99a.html
Question: What were these used for? Where was this one located? Photo By Jan Bemis 2015
Answer: These cement cylinders were installed to protect children from the weather. The kids had to walk a quarter to half a mile to the bus stop. This one is located on the corner of Whites Corners and Willow Road in Columbus Township. There may be more of these dotting the Corry area countryside. The Corry Area Historical Society hopes people on Facebook will share more details on the history of these shelters for the Historical Society’s archive room.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_17112e78-2cd7-11ef-91b0-736065129fb0.html
Question: What was this metal container used for yearly? Hint: This container was used for a significant historical event that changed U.S. citizens' social lives in 1933.
Answer: This metal container, manufactured by Buffalo Portable Steel House Co., was used as a ballot box for individuals to cast their votes. The company also manufactured other items such as steel cottages, schoolhouses and garbage cans. This ballot box is still housed at the Corry Area Historical Society, and inside were the delegates' ballots for repealing the 18th Amendment — prohibition. November 7, 1933, Pennsylvania residents voted to be a “wet” or “dry” state. The votes were cast siding with the “Repeal of Prohibition,” Amendment 21, which went into effect after Utah delegates ratified the repeal on December 5,1933. Red wax was used to seal the ballot's containers so as not to allow tampering with the voting results.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_9c4f174a-276d-11ef-ab03-8f6741793253.html
Question: Who is this gentleman? What did he give to the community? Hint: It has a lake named after his mother, Alice.
Answer: Attorney Glenn C. Mead of Philadelphia, a former Corry resident, was born in this area in 1870 to Eli Hatton and Alice Livingston Mead. On November 28, 1940, a parcel of land was given to form a community park. He later donated another parcel to make up the park, which is enjoyed today. It was first known as Mead Recreation Park, located on West Wayne Street. In January of 1949, it was suggested to change the street name to Mead Park Avenue, and was later named Mead Avenue. The prep and buildings in the park were mostly done by volunteers who shared Mr. Mead’s vision for a beautiful community gathering place for recreational and family enjoyment.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_da37b2a6-22ae-11ef-81d1-dfe7c4b56767.html
Question: What is this and where would it be used? Hint: used on a cold winter's night.
Answer: This vintage brooder kerosene heater was used to warm poultry coops and keep water from freezing. Moe’s Line of Poultry Supplies was out of Chicago, and manufactured by the Hoeft Company. These heaters would sell for about $1.50 in the 1920s. The lamp held enough kerosene to supply heat 24/7. They were sold at the local hardware stores. The CAHS Museum has a Moe’s Line Brood Heater on display.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_a5691412-1cfe-11ef-a82f-9b66ef199448.html
Question: Who is this gentleman? What did he do? What is named after him? Hint: a great place to spend a Friday night. https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown
Answer: Last week's mystery answer: Howard “Pop” Sheen was the Corry Area High School principal from 1926 to 1960. He came to Corry in 1919 to teach science. In 1920 he worked to get football instated as a sport. Equipment was non-existent, with mothers sewing shoulder pads for the players. He organized the students to work on raising funds for the sports programs, introduced track and coached girls’ and boys' basketball. He was known as a teacher, friend, father figure and counselor, touching the lives of many students. In 1960, the football field was named the Howard Sheen Athletic Field. After Mr. and Mrs. Sheen’s passing, the Howard J. and Ruth H. Sheen Memorial Scholarship was set up, and is still given out to students seeking further education.
https://www.thecorryjournal.com/hometown/article_accb6df0-11f4-11ef-b1ae-c309fa68c73d.html
Question: What two companies were turning out monkey wrenches? Where in town were they located?
Answer: Locee Wrench was located on 233 Eagle Street in Corry in the 1910 Directory. They manufactured the "Champion" wrench. Then in the 1912 Directory, the company was listed as Corry Wrench Company operating out of the same building. This company manufactured the wrench in the journal photo. Some of the local names associated with the company were E.L., W. J., C. A. Keppel, E. J. Rhinehart, and Charles Carroll among others. The company was last listed in the City Directories in the mid-1950s operating at 107 North Second Ave in Corry.